Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics thoughts

ya, that torch didnt work. And the thing didn't get started till 9 on the networks even though they were done by nine in Vancouver which is in this timezone, so Vancouver, you cheated. I had to laugh at how they introduced all the native canadians and then had them dance and get completely no coverage while the athletes walked in for 45 minutes. They must have been really tired.. Isnt that kindof a slap in their face? I suppose our american networks dictated what was shown to us.. Also, while I kinda dug the costumes the emo/urban tapdancers had.. it still seemed weird. I wasnt sure if it was a genuine embrace of the urban culture of younger people my age.. or just reaching. Same with the overweight spoken word guy. Why does spoken word stuff always come across as pretentious and arrogant? It was so off-putting, despite the power of his words. And it was worse cuz he was a pretty heavy guy. Overall, the transitions didnt seem so planned out and intentional.. the night viewed as a narrative was patchy and jarring. I wish Cirque Du Soleil had been involved, they're based out of Canada and would have made the show that much cooler. Looking at the schedule of events, each award ceremony gets pretty awesome performace acts. What do you bet none of them get airtime?

Overall, sucks about the torch, still cool to watch, but not as cool as 08. That opening ceremony would be tough to top for sure. Made up for it all by comin home an listening to the music John Williams did for the salt lake city games... that made me feel better.

That had been in the back of my mind as something I was excited about, tellin people about.. ready to genuinely experience and take to heart and it didnt really do much to me. No crazy moments of wonder like the summer games. I kinda live my life from moment to moment like that.. I dont know whats next on my list now

No comments: