Monday, April 05, 2010

Books. And Wonder and things of worth.. to just a few it seems

I just saw Dunc got a copy of Brian Jaques' Redwall novel The Taggerung since I worked last. Its the UK version, which is smaller and has an entirely different and cooler piece of artwork on the cover- The colors are warmer and more saturated.. the otter and fox on the cover aren't nearly as mean and angry as the american covers seem to need be by design.. the characters are more friendly looking. I just picked it up and couldn't get over how much that whole series came back to me. I loved them when I was a kid. I'm still a kid.. I felt such a huge affection for it in that moment.. I don't know what that makes me. I cant help it. Besides it is one of the few of the series where an otter is the main character, so that added to it. And it was sitting on the shelf next to Justmans Phantom Tollbooth, another book I loved as a kid. I felt they were appropriate, sitting on the shelf next to one another. Both books that founded my love of animal characters, and allegories, and fantasy worlds that don't have to be dark and evil and hard. I don't know, there's an innocence to them, that I think I'm still chasing in my adult life.

I posted something to this effect on Facebook, and my other boss gave me crap about it in her comment. She called it an epic fail to let my inner geek show through so much.. I didnt even feel I was geeking out. I was just talking about things that make me feel like a kid again.. I think we all deserve to have that

No comments: